#1 FLER

FLER

VIP Administration

• Дирекция Клуба
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5 579 сообщений
  • Интересы:Life

Отправлено 10 декабря 2003 - 01:49

How Cool Is It to Find a High School Faculty Member Who Cares More About Your Car Than Your Grades?

Photography: Wesley Allison
Изображение

We often receive letters from various students across the country who complain about their teachers, who have taken away their copies of Super Street. We've been told that we're a distraction. There are too many girls in the magazine. We're risque. Studying is more important. Whatever. Our goal is to corrupt the minds of the youth, and what good are we if we're stashed away somewhere in the principal's office along with the confiscated pagers, baggy pants, and banned NWA cassettes and not in the hands of some young boy who's just starting to grow funny hairs in those funny areas? You need cooler teachers. You need Joe Galante.
Изображение

"Yes, I am a teacher. I teach high school Spanish," says Joe, as we get into a conversation about the whos, whats, whys, wheres, and whens of his '94 Supra. "I took a year off to finish this car, but they've completely flipped out. A lot of my students really dig the car, so much that I went and started an enthusiast club at school, geared specifically towards cars.
Изображение

I wanted them to learn about cars, such as safe driving tips and the dangers of street racing." Not only does this push Joe onto the level of coolness that only substitute teachers can achieve, it also makes him that much more respectable as a tuner as well. In fact, his second job is building cars along with his business partners at Mospeed Productions and RYTEK Motorsports. Joe's Supra is their first big project and they've done an outstanding job of converting it into the widebodied piece of machinery that it has become today.
Изображение

Purchased back in 1997, Joe admits that his goals for the car today are much greater than what he had originally intended. "I didn't even know that boost controllers existed, let alone what a turbo was," he laughs. When he discovered that he could use aftermarket parts to make the car even faster, he placed himself right into the mouth of madness and hasn't looked back since. The evidence is clear, and now, on its third stage of modification, the car has gone from wack to fully stacked. It's serious business here--custom widebody fenders have extended the front end 2.5 inches and the back a good 3.5 inches. There's a lot of custom bodywork; in fact, all of the body pieces have been molded onto the car, which includes a Bomex front lip and VeilSide's C-1 side and rear skirts. The trunk lid supports a custom-mounted C-West carbon-fiber wing and the rear turn signals have been altered by Clearcorners.com to light up red instead of amber. The driving lights are now powered by a set of Xenon Depot HIDs and extra light is provided with a set of PIAA 2100-X foglamps. Factor in the custom gunmetal metallic paint (with the blue and green pearl mixed in) and you're not only going to impress the girl's volleyball squad--you're going to upset the balance of the entire student body. They never warned us about this in sex ed--better use condoms!
Изображение

Joe states that he is a firm believer in "subtle craziness." While he wanted the car to stand out like a zit on senior portrait day, he also wanted to keep it mellow. Well, I can certainly tell you that underneath the hood, it's hardly that. It's really crazy--crazy like a fox! The inline-six, 2JZ-GTE has been fortified with all kinds of chin-stroking, member-grabbing goodness. A mammoth T-78 single turbo upgrade comes from GReddy, as does the Type R external wastegate, 2mm head gasket, and four-row intercooler. The cylinder head has been ported and polished, and has also been given a three-angle valve job. Even a pair of HKS 272-degree camshafts and a set of AEM adjustable cam gears are being utilized to maximize power. In case there's a desire to get a little extra punch, Joe has a 100-shot single-fogger wet nitrous system from NX on tap--there's even a spray bar from NX that injects ice-cold air onto the intercooler, which helps to lower the intake temperature of the air going into the engine.
Изображение

A recent tech story we featured in last month's issue ("Advanced Tuning," page 192) showed the installation of an AEM EMS, which gave Joe the ability to tune his 2JZ to the sweet song of 635rwhp at only 25psi. Additionally, he's using an HKS EVC-IV to control the boost settings. For fuel delivery, an HKS in-tank fuel pump feeds larger volumes of, well, fuel, to an anodized HKS fuel rail and a set of Blitz 700cc injectors. Meanwhile, engine temperature is kept low with a Fluidyne radiator and FAL fans--a must-have, especially for a turbocharged application.
Изображение

Though Joe swears that he built the car for himself and not anyone else, I'm not so convinced. There are always ulterior motives for guys who own cars like this, especially if you teach. Maybe the gal who teaches French is really hot and he needs to impress her. Or maybe he's like me and cruises up and down the street after eighth period lets out so freshmen can give him the "big ups." I think if I were waiting on the side for my mom to give me a ride (What are you talking about? Your mom still picks you up.--JN), I'd check out those custom-made HRE wheels, which were tailored to match the widebody kit. Sized 19x9.5 for the front and 20x11 on the rear, it's even crazier to know that they carry a 2.5-inch and 4-inch lip, respectively --that's worse than Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, and Liv Tyler combining their own lips. To stop those massively-sized wheels is a set of 14-inch Stop-Tech big brakes, which consist of four-piston calipers, cross-drilled rotors, stainless brake lines, and beefier pads. Suspension mods are minimal, yet the HKS Hiper-Damper coilovers allow for the adjustability of ride height and comfort.
Изображение

The Supra's interior is a Sparco catalog incarnate--Roadster seats, racing harnesses, Flash-5 steering wheel, and every panel, plus the rear seats have been re-upholstered with Sparco fabric. All that's missing is a Mike Morita bobbing-head doll on the dashboard. An Art Morrison rollcage adds a bit of safety and prevents any Red Asphalt-type accidents from occurring. The audio work is pretty extensive as well, using components from mainly Eclipse and Lightning Audio, which are more than I can shove into this paragraph, let alone this story. And lastly, if anyone is kept behind for detention or needs a secret make-out hideaway, they can swap spit or watch Zapped on his Sony PS2--you could even play Counterstrike on his laptop, after you've deleted his AEM EMS software files.

After a heated debate about what ingredients are included in the cafeteria's lunch gruel, I've concluded that Joe's students are lucky. Rewards for graduation include free trips to import shows across the Canadian border, not to mention free rides in one of the coolest cars on the continent. Now if only we could get him to look the other way so we could ditch class.

OWNER Joe Galante
RIDE '94 Toyota Supra Turbo
HOMETOWN Seattle, Washington
DAILY GRIND High school teacher
UNDER THE HOOD 2JZ-GTE, GReddy T-78 single turbo upgrade, Type R external wastegate, 2mm head gasket, and four-row intercooler; HKS Twin Power ignition, 272-degree camshafts, in-tank fuel pump, and anodized fuel rail; AEM Pro EMS and adjustable cam gears, Blitz Super Sound blow-off valve and 700cc fuel injectors, Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust, NX twin polished bottles, N-tercooler spray bar system and 100-shot single-fogger wet nitrous system; ARP head studs and bolts, ported and polished cylinder head, three-angle valve job, Earl's lines and fittings, Paxton fuel pressure regulator, Fluidyne radiator, FAL twin electric fans, Unorthodox underdrive pulley set, Powerhouse Racing 175-amp alternator and EGR block-off plate, 5-BAR map sensor, parts coating by Performance Coatings (including intercooler piping, intake manifold, turbo exhaust housing, exhaust manifold, downpipe, and compressor housing) STIFF STUFF HKS Hiper Damper coilovers and upper pillow mounts, Art Morrison rollcage
STOPPERS Stop Tech 14-inch big brake upgrade
ROLLERS 19x9.5 and 20x11 HRE 545 wheels, Toyo Proxes T1-S 265/30ZR19 and 275/30ZR20 tires
OUTSIDE Sikkens gunmetal metallic-grey paint with blue and green pearl, custom widebody kit, Bomex front lip spoiler, VeilSide C-1 side and rear skirts, JGTC carbon-fiber mirrors, C-West carbon-fiber wing, Sparco fuel door, PIAA 2100-X foglamps, Xenon Depot HID kit, Clearcorners.com taillight conversion, custom body work done by Tru Color Customs
INSIDE Sparco Roadster seats, racing harnesses, seat rails and brackets, Flash-5 steering wheel, and reupholstered panels/rear seats; HKB steering wheel hub, B&M short shift kit, billet shift knob
ICE Eclipse 8132 in-dash 6.5-inch TV/DVD/CD/MP3 head unit, 32430 subwoofer amplifier, 34440 rear-stage amplifier, DVC100 10-inch aluminum cone subwoofers, 8062 6.5-inch and 1-inch front speakers, 89640 6.5-inch rear speakers, and Voice Commander system; Lightning Audio deep cycle batteries, cable and wiring, distribution blocks, platinum battery terminals, and 1.5 Farad digital monitoring stiffening caps; Gateway Solo 750mhz laptop for AEM EMS program, Sony PlayStation 2, all custom audio work done by AC Creations
PROPS Lawson and Jason at AEM, R&D Dyno, John at HRE Wheels, Greg and Rob at Toyo Tires, Brian and Randall at NX, Brad at Performance Coatings, Joel at Car Nutz, Chris at SP Engineering, Meguiar's, Dennis at 3DmaxGraphics.com, Bob and Linda at Stop Tech, Art Morrison Enterprises, Jimmy at Lightning Audio, Dan McMillan at InPhase Marketing (Eclipse Audio), Dino at PIAA, Mike at Sparco, JD at B&M, Xenon-Depot.com, Moe and Jeremy at Superior Auto Trim, Toby, Larry, and Brandon at Tru Color Customs, Aaron Cook at AC Creations, Nestor at Edelbrock, Shawn at Street Concepts, my friends, Brent, Derek, and Ryan for their mechanical assistance, my business associates: Jason, Nick, Ricky, and Henry at Mospeed Productions and Rytek Motorsports, Team Mospeed, my mom and dad

#2 Veilside

Veilside

TOC Adminstration

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2 885 сообщений

Отправлено 10 декабря 2003 - 01:58

Старые фоты , этот чучмек её продаёт , и пределал чуток
Audi S8 4.2 - 2001 and Mitsubishi Pajero 1990 - offroad winter fun car without limit

Яндекс.Метрика