• Дирекция Клуба
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5 579 сообщений
  • Интересы:Life

Отправлено 05 декабря 2003 - 01:08

By Daniel Morris
Photography: Jonathan Wong
Изображение

So, is it a non-turbo or isn't it? Magnifying-glass wielding fans of the second-generation, mid-engine, rear-drive MR-2 will immediately spot the flat vents over the engine compartment-a sure sign of a normally aspirated powerplant. But looks, in this case, are definitely deceiving, because what used to be Tony Law's '91 Toyota MR-2's source of power, a 5SFE non-turbo engine, has since been swapped with a Japanese '93 3SGTE turbo motor.
Изображение

As you might imagine, making such a transition isn't necessarily a walk in the park, unless it's a walk in the park at midnight in a really bad part of town. But when you're as big a Toyota fan as Tony is, these things don't concern you. As he puts it, "Toyotas rule. I like the MR-2, and I like keeping everything in the Toyota family. I try to stay faithful to one car, one brand. That's why I got mostly HKS stuff. I try to keep everything as consistent as I can, because I don't like to mix and match, I like to keep everything very simple and clean."
Изображение

Tony bought his MR-2, used, in 1994. As he explains, "I didn't get a chance to buy a new car like a lot of kids do. I had to work for everything on my own, taking up odd jobs. I had to settle on a used non-turbo because I couldn't afford the insurance for a turbo. I got it knowing that eventually I'd get it to a level where I wanted it to be."
Изображение

But Tony took his time before getting around to the engine work. First came a modified Aeroware body kit, VIS fender flares, and 17-inch Volk Racing CV Pro wheels. Next came the interior, which got treated to a fat helping of leather. Tony says, "My car had beauty, but no brains. What's the point of having a car that looks fast, but can't back it up?"
Изображение

And that's where the 3SGTE engine, complete with a Japanese ECU, enters the picture. The whole thing became a reality with the help of Toysport in Gardena, California. But transplanting the Japanese motor took a bit of work and involved a fairly significant overhaul. The first order of business was to reinforce the bottom end, which would be handling significantly greater amounts of power. To this end, Carillo connecting rods and Toysport forged pistons were installed. Tony then switched in a TRD Kevlar clutch and upgraded axles to replace their weaker counterparts.
Изображение

After that came even more upgrades, the most important being a Blitz K3T turbo and a boatload of HKS products, including an intercooler and a Super Sequential blow-off valve, not to mention an EVC IV boost controller and a turbo timer. Dig around a bit more, and you'll come across an HKS Vein Pressure Converter, an in-tank fuel pump, and a Kaaz limited slip.
Изображение

So, having brought his MR-2 up to Super Street speed, Tony would recommend that every owner of a non-turbo MR-2 do the same, since it's an inexpensive, hassle-free procedure, and if he could he'd do it all over again, right? Wrong.
Изображение

"Don't get a non-turbo, just save up and buy the turbo. It'll save you a lot of headaches. If you're gonna start building [a turbo], you better buy yourself a bottle of Advil." Spoken like a man who knows what he's talking about.

Fast Facts

OWNER: Tony Law

RIDE: 1991 Toyota MR-2

HOMETOWN: North Hollywood, California

DAILY GRIND: Customer Service/Student/Boyfriend UNDER THE HOOD: JDM 1993 Toyota 3SGTE; Japanese-spec ECU; Blitz K3T turbo upgrade; HKS intercooler, Super Sequential blow-off valve, EVC IV, turbo timer, 272/264 cams, metal head gasket, valvesprings, Twin Power ignition, in-tank fuel pump, VPC, Super Dragger off-road exhaust, down pipe, Mega Flow air intake; ARP-head stud kit, main bolts; Toysport forged pistons, aluminum flywheel; Carillo connecting rods; TRD engine mounts, bearings; Kevlar clutch, transmission mount; Kaaz LSD

STIFF STUFF: Tein HA 16-way adjustable coilover system, front/rear upper pillow mounts

STOPPERS: Brembo Sport rotors; TRD stainless steel braided brake lines

ROLLERS: 17-inch Volk CV Pro wheels; Yokohama AVS Intermediate Sport tires (215/40-17 front, 235/40-17 rear)

INSIDE: Custom HKS glove compartment, boost gauge, exhaust-temp gauge, water-temp gauge, oil-pressure gauge; customized instrument cluster; Indiglo white-face gauges; MOMO Top power steering wheel; Razo shift knob, pedals; Lonza horn button, BMW Light Grey leather

OUTSIDE: Aeroware front lip, side skirts, air ducts; molded VIS fender flares; Supra taillights; custom Toyota bumper; custom-molded Datsun 300 ZX vents; PPG Alpine Silver Metallic w/ Violet Pearl paint ICE Alpine CDM 7824 head unit; Punch 150x2 amp; Boston Acoustics 5.25 separates, 1-inch tweeters; Bazooka 8-inch tubes; ADS two-channel crossover

PROPS: Team Hybrid family and founder James, brother Cliff, Derek at Body Pros, Jack at Aerotech, BJ at Meguiar's, Joel at Toysport, Marcos at Xtreme Designs, Deo at Kustom Image, Adrian, Eric, Andrew, Ed, Mike K., Michael O., and especially my girlfriend Amy, whose love and support has made this experience possible

Яндекс.Метрика